In order to become an Iowa licensed funeral director, students must meet the following requirements:
- Obtain a minimum of 60 semester hours from a regionally accredited college or university with a minimum of a 2.0 or "C” grade point average
- Successfully complete a mortuary science course from a school accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE)
- After graduating from an accredited mortuary science program, must serve a minimum of a one year internship under the direct supervision of a licensed funeral director preceptor in the State of Iowa
- Must pass the national and state board licensing examinations
- Once a funeral directors license is obtained, licensees are required to complete 24 hours of continuing education courses every two years in order to maintain licensure.
For additional information regarding licensing, rules, and regulations in Iowa, contact the Bureau of Professional Licensure - Board of Mortuary Science Examiners.